When the Liberty Quarter Eagle was introduced, there were some slight modifications to the specifications for the denomination. For previous quarter eagles, the composition consisted of a large percentage of gold, alloyed with a small amount of silver and copper. From 1840 onwards, the composition was modified to 90% gold and 10% copper. The weight of the coins remained the same at 4.18 grams, although, the diameter was reduced slightly to 18 mm. All coins were struck with a reeded edge.
With the introduction of this type, the mint mark location was moved to the reverse of the coin, where it would remain until the conclusion of the series in 1907. The mint mark, either “P”, “C”, “D”, “O”, or “S”, is located between the eagle and “½” in the denomination. On many of the earlier issues the mark is connected with the branch, and sometimes is hard to see. Additionally, on some of the Dahlonega issues the mint mark is very weak.
Mint Mark: none (Philadelphia), C (Charlotte), D (Dahlonega), O (New Orleans), S (San Francisco)
Composition: 90% gold, 10% copper
Weight: 4.18 grams
Diameter: 18 mm
Designer: Christian Gobrecht